The idea of using broken tiles on the floors of some buildings in started immediately after the using of full-sized non-broken for became popular. Before then, when and were dominating the country’s materials’ market, few could buy into the idea of buying broken or full-size because it was not available and even if it was, the cost may not be encouraging for an average citizen to afford.
As from the year 2000, started gaining recognition into the materials’ markets; but it still has a higher cost than the existing materials just like any new product would do. Besides the cost, the problem of getting the tilers was there also, because they were only a few persons that know how to a concrete . Meanwhile, as the years go by, the price started dropping until its present-day price which has made it possible that 7 out of every 10 new buildings in has on them; either on their kitchen and bathroom walls, on the , or on all the areas.
However, despite the drop in prices of the ; some people living in rural areas like farmers and petty traders still find it difficult to afford full sized for the , kitchen walls, or bathroom walls of their . Such category of people resorts to the buying of broken for the same purpose.
The question of using broken for and shielding walls is a common one, though may not be common to those who have not been to some rural areas within the country. Even some cities still have tiled with broken . Therefore it has become a norm that anyone intending to do it should not be ashamed of it or think of how people would view it.
THINGS YOU NEED TO DO IN ORDER TO OBTAIN GOOD LOOKING SURFACE WITH BROKEN :
- Visit builders at sites or dealers in their markets, you will see different types, sizes, and colors, separated and filled in a sack or bags according to their category. These bags of broken are usually sold at varying prices depending on your bargaining power.
- Do not buy one color, rather mix the colors by buying different categories of the broken in the sack or bags. The reason is that the color combinations will be needed when beautifying the during the tiling process.
- Avoid non-uniform broken tiles. If the broken should be in small sizes let all of them be in the same small size and if they are to be in larger size let all be at that same size because a variation of sizes can affect the look.
- To make the whole job appear uniform to use the colors on the broken to make the choice of the wall to be applied on the walls.
- Avoid ugly looking broken and the ones that concretes had stocked on it surfaces. This category of broken will make the surface appear rough when mixed with other good ones.
Nevertheless, the reason people may criticize your use of broken will be when it is applied wrongly or made to have an ugly look. For that reason let me take you through some ways your can be tiled with broken and still maintain a like the normal full .
HOW TO CARRY OUT TILING ON CONCRETE FLOORS AND WALLS USING BROKEN
Follow all the procedures specified in my previous post about tiling a with full which are highlighted below:
- “Sweep the surfaces and scrub the areas that need to be smoothened.
- Use spirit gauges and plumbs to detect areas on the that has no uniform level with others. Mark out those areas with chalk or any other colored material, indicating the diameter or perimeters of such area, if possible; use precision tools to know the difference in height such area has with other surfaces.If the area found to be defective is higher or above the main uniform areas, then you may be required to chisel down that area. But if it appears to be lower or below the main uniform areas, you may decide to compensate the depth during the tiling process by adding more mortar on the surface of that area before dropping the on it.
- After the above, proceed to square the surfaces. Squaring the surfaces involves obtaining the squared pattern of the , such that you can determine how many that can cover the . Besides that, it will also help you to know where to start placing the and the actual location each supposed to be. After squaring the and marking out the important areas on the , any other little or gap that may exist can be filled up by cutting out such size from a complete or broken such that the whole job appears professional.
- After the actions in number 3, pour enough quantity of water on the and allow the water to be absorbed such that the appears soft and smooth. At that instant, if there are hard areas that refused to be chiseled initially, try chiseling them again and you will observe that they will be easier this time.
- Prepare your mortar for the laying of the . First make a mortar of and soft sand at the ratio of about five wheelbarrows of sand to one bag of , the reason for the above ratio is to ensure the mortar is concentrated with enough so that the adhesion between the and the will be very strong and defects on the surface may not easily affect the .
- The mortar should be mixed properly with enough water in it but should not be too soft that it cannot maintain its shape when spread on the .
- Pour the mortar in a head pan used in works and starting from the edges you marked doing the squaring in number 3, gradually use a hand trowel to empty the mortar from one side of the edges.
- Do not spread the mortar over a wide area on the else it may get strong before you would reach out to place the on all the areas, and do not empty all the mortar on a particular sport so that you can start spreading it from the sport, the reason is because the bottom of it may stick to the surface before you could reach out to spread it to other areas you are placing the .So the idea is, use a hand trowel to drop about six packs and spread the small quantity in the small you could within the short time and then move to the next to repeat the same process.
- Before dropping the on the mortar, pour some in another head pan, and mix the with water such that it appears watery. This watery will be spread on the back of the where it will make contact with the before dropping the on the mortar.
- Repeat the process in number 9 to ensure all the surfaces are covered.”
Assuming you have read the above procedures for tiling the normal full , the only adjustments and changes you will do in terms of the broken while following the steps above are:
- From number 9 where you start to drop the , remember yours are broken so you don’t need the step 3 which is squaring the surface, just start dropping the broken after adding the mortar and spraying the liquid at the back of the broken .
- From available colors of the broken provided by the client, place two different colors together, and between each broken should not be more than 5mm.
- Ensure unique colors and size combination in your layout, by placing similar sizes together and separating the same colors to have a good color combination.
- Do not allow any mortar or to rest on the surface during the tiling process because they may get stiff and become difficult to . To achieve this, use a soft foam and wet it with water and that is what you will use to clean the surfaces regularly as you are moving from one point to another.
- Do not allow anyone to walk on the after the tiling until after forty-eight hours. To allow the and broken to have proper bonding.
- Ensure that the broken filled up the or wall with little or no to reveal the actual .
Having understood what you should do to make a good looking tiled surface with broken , it will be necessary you come back after the job to give us your experience and difficulties encountered through the comment form and help forum.
Originally posted 2018-06-20 05:26:27.
Subscribe to our email list and follow our social media pages for regular and timely updates.
You can submit your article for free review and publication by using “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU Buttons.
If you love this post please share it to using the social media buttons provided before the comment form.