Despite our various posts on articles, nothing has been said concerning copper . For the record, is one of the expensive in the market because of the various jobs they can be used to do.
Electrical field highlighted that the best electrical metallic conductors are silver, respectively, but because of the scarce and expensive nature of silver , copper had become the best alternative for wiring because of its quality which is higher than that of aluminum .
Due to the high demands and its cost, copper are now being faked in the market. The fake copper can hardly be discovered by a novice in the field. Consider most modern electric motors, some were actually made with fake copper which makes them have poor power output. The truth behind the fake copper is that they are coated with copper such that they appear similar to the original one.
This difference in the copper had been the major reason for the large coil electric motors with poor performing power output, because their coils may have been built with the fake copper .
For records, the evidence of this was revealed when the dealer peeled off the outer surface of the fake copper wire to reveal the inside metal that the wire was originally made with and it was found that some of the metals used in making the fake copper are aluminum, iron, and tungsten wires, etc. these wires are readily available and cheaper than original copper wires but they have less demand in the market, therefore dealers find ways to put them into use by prescribing the ideas to the manufacturers. On the other hand, manufacturers do make huge gain for such deal since they are not dealing with original copper that is costlier, but those who usually feel the effect of the whole trick are the consumers and that occurs when such were used to make having electric motors such that they will give poor performance and also may not last in service.
Ways of knowing fake copper
- The common method of identifying fake is to scratch the deeply with a sharp knife, if the inside appears to have any other color other than the one seen on the outer surface of the then it was electroplated and hence may be a fake .
- Some dealers are fair enough, they can tell you promptly that the is not the original type, the reason is that there is a huge price gap between the and the fake one. Which is another thing you must look out.
- Some of the cannot exhibit most of the physical properties of the which includes ductility, malleability, and little or no environmental impacts on the surface appearance. If the any claimed original copper has its surface appearance changed from the usually reddish-brown to any other color then look closely because it might be the fake one.
- Does the generate heat fast when current is made to through it? If yes, then it is a fake . With exception to Aluminum and copper , iron and tungsten generate heat easily when used to conduct electricity and such may be the plated with copper and claimed to be the .
- Do not be in a rush to pay for the , hold a small portion of its end and try squeezing or twisting it in a zig-zag motion for about 10 times if the joint did not break up, then it may be an but if it does not, then it is fake. The reason for the above, is because copper is among the most ductile and malleable metals which makes it easy for manufacturers to draw it into , so such property does exist in copper , so if fake metal like aluminum or iron were used to fake the , then during the twisting the joints will break off.
- Coils and transformers made with original Copper do not get rusts or corroded over a long period of use, such will be a sign for any corroded coil or transformer to show that it was not made with .
- Take a magnet close to any claimed , if it is found to be magnetic then it is not because copper generally is non-magnetic. Though other like Aluminum are not magnetic also, the colors of both are different.
- copper is not an elastic material hence, its will not be elastic. Original copper will remain in its position after bending it, otherwise, the was not made with complete copper.
- some fake copper can are alloy of little copper and another metal , note that it is different from plated . When alloyed is scratched the inside color may not change but the easiest to know such is through the color, their reddish-brown color will always appear lighter than that of .
- another crucial test can be reactions with acid, between copper, iron, tungsten, and aluminum, copper reacts slowly in diluted sulphuric acid than any of the above metals, so taking a cup full of diluted sulphuric acid, insert the tip of the inside the cup, if it starts reacting immediately then it is not , otherwise it may be a copper material.
The above 10 points are easy way of discovery the quality of or cable one which to buy in te market. It is a guard and backup knowledge for any dealer.
It is important to note that majority of the fire outbreak accidents in buildings do come from electrification and such is common when fake cables and were used, which causes overheating to the junction box and easily create good condition for fire to start burning.
Originally posted 2018-03-15 12:49:19.
Subscribe to our email list and follow our social media pages for regular and timely updates.
You can submit your article for free review and publication by using “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU Buttons.
If you love this post please share it to using the social media buttons provided before the comment form.