The need to a may arise whenever the battery of the goes down accidentally. In other words, if a got discharged either as a result of long-parking of the , playing music when the is off, forgetting to off the headlights or because of the decreasing lifespan of the battery. Whichever the case, a dead vehicle battery will not be able to start the because the voltage output will not be working to turn the alternator that would ignite the .
To start any vehicle with the discharged battery will be done through the . Though the action is very necessary for some emergency situations, experts had said that such may not be good for vehicles with dual fueled or alternatively fueled system and if the vehicle has electronic ignition system.
is usually necessary or required in the starting of any transmission vehicles while push starting is required for manual transmission vehicles. There had been issues regarding process in as many experts had detailed their own procedure according to their own experience. However, a reliable source also said that it is best to consult the vehicle manual to see the steps usually specified by the manufacturers for to avoid damaging the of any ignition system in the process.
The manufacturers of do provide jumper and the procedures in the vehicle manual. The purpose is to assist the user in handling emergency starting whenever no mechanic is available to help in the situation.
any vehicle will require the availability of another fully-charged battery, jumper , and the knowledge of the required procedures.
Jump are also called the booster or jump leads, they are a pair of insulated of sufficient capacity with an alligator clip at each end to interconnect the disabled equipment/vehicle with an auxiliary source, such as another vehicle or equipment with the same system voltage or to another battery. The clips of the jump starter are usually insulated to prevent inadvertent shorting and such may be made from metals such as copper or steel, the polarity of the two can be known based on the colors of the insulators on them. The positive (+) cable has red color insulation while the negative (- ) clip has black color insulation.
The procedure for a using another vehicle or are as follows:
- Jumper usually accompany newly bought vehicles and are kept in a safe place inside the vehicle for emergency purposes, the first step of carrying out is to ensure you have the jumper . Assuming you have the and only need the Samaritan that would help you to start your vehicle, the will become easier.
- Look out for vehicles passing-by for their assistance. Someone with pity may decide to offer a help. When such is available, position the vehicle such that their front bonnets face each other directly and shut off the ignition system of the assisting vehicle.
- Locate the battery of the assisting , and identify the terminals polarity properly before clipping the jumper cable on them by attaching one of the red clips to the of your battery that is in your own . Also attach the other end of the same cable to the of the other that will be supplying the voltage.
- The same way the positive terminals had been connected repeat same for the negative terminals. By attaching one of the black clips to the on the other battery and attaching the last black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your that is not near the battery.
- Start the assisting vehicle and allow the to run for some minutes.
- After allowing the vehicle for sometimes, if your own could start by trying the ignition system if it could start the .
NB: if the cannot start, if the are properly connected and have the process repeated for longer minutes before trying again. And if works and your starts, allow the to run for a long time while in a stationary position to enable the charger in charging the properly before moving them or turning the off. Driving the for about 15 minutes will enable it to recharge the battery properly otherwise allow the in its situational state while the is still on.
The production of flammable is usually associated with an operation of a through the of water inside the battery especially when overcharging occurs.
When wrong connections are used, there are possibilities of accidentally shorting the good battery or igniting .
may not or may take longer time if the supplying voltage battery is very low to the vehicle battery it is trying to .
When cable or jumper are interconnected between different voltage systems like 6volt and 12 volt systems together may cause damage.
If the is dead or physically damaged leading to its inability to start the , will not in such condition except the battery is changed.
If the electrolyte level of the battery has gone down may take a very long time or may not be possible depending on how bad the level of the electrolyte has dropped.
In the case of cold-weather regions, the electrolyte might become frozen in such case, the should not be jumped started at all to avoid the possible explosion.
Originally posted 2018-08-11 13:06:49.
A mechanical engineer, an NDT inspector, Graphic designer & Web developer, I love and sharing of knowledge for human intellectual development, especially relating to fields, environment, and science trending updates.
“Engineeringall.com” is a , to do so; use the “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU to share your personal ideas, researched knowledge, or discovered incidents, etc.to those in the & & the general online communities across the globe. If you love this post please share using the social buttons below.