WHAT IS A ?
The Hydraulic system is one of the technologies that has helped the engineers to devise new ways of doing jobs with less effort. It is an applied science from the existing laws of fluid power using engineering and other science fields related approach. In a clear definition, the hydraulic system is a modern technology found in most industrial machines and construction equipment making use of a liquid which can either be an oil, water or any other liquid to lift, lower, move or loads or any part of a . Pneumatics system can be referred to as a brother to the because it makes use of air in its operation unlike the that uses liquid.
HISTORY OF PRESS TECHNOLOGY
The first industrial application of theoretical idea was the invention of an industrial press by Joseph Bramah in 1795. The press was using the cylinder to generate compressive used to operate the mechanical lever. The technology helped Bramah to also develop the toilet flush system which has become the major way all the water flushing toilets are built to date.
The theory behind the press is based on Pascal’s principle of pressure in a closed system, the principal said that the pressure and its distribution in any closed system is constant. Assuming a can be used as a pump to build and distribute pressure in a closed system like a piped vacuum. If a modest mechanical is acting on a small cross-sectional area; the other part that may have a with a larger area will generate a corresponding large mechanical . In other words, if small can push a large volume of fluid (liquid or air), the pressure generated will exact the same mechanical to the larger forcing any load on it to be moved. The sizes of the pistons and their cylinders will determine the ratio of the distances of the small versus the large . Since the larger the the less distance it can be moved by the small in a closed system.
Pascal’s law said “pressure on a confined fluid is transmitted undiminished and acts with equal on equal areas and at 90 degrees to the container wall. A small effort acts on a small , this creates a pressure which is transferred through the fluid to a large ”
USES AND APPLICATIONS OF
The uses of the have gone beyond applications, to equipment in construction , making of some , and maintenance tools applications such as jacks, etc. categorically the uses of the can be highlighted as:
- The hydraulic system is used in the making of industrial machines to overcome mechanical force needed to carry out a particular operation. Some examples are the press use in the bending and piercing of metal sheets, hammers, etc.
- The has become a major technology for over 90 percent of all the construction equipment like the breaker used in the breaking of rocks, and demolition purposes, cranes for the lifting and lowering of loads, excavators and self-loaders used by the construction make use of technology for their operations.
- The has its use in the making of breaks and steering systems of all the modern vehicles. Thereby making breaks to be applied using small application of and the steering of vehicles become easier due to the lines in the steering system.
- The also finds its use in the modern toilets’ flushing system. The small application of on the toilet flusher knob will move the small plastic in it to create a that causes the entire water in the flusher to flow out into the toilet seater.
- Some special have the in their arms, necks, jaws, legs, and waist, etc to enable flexibility and help them to carry heavy loads and overcome large while in operations.
- Special are systematically operated through the to overcome large load resistance.
- The wings of modern air crafts, their landing , and control systems have technology in them to enable the units to overcome heavy wind resistance coming from air flow through little application of from electric motors which is usually activated through a button by the pilot.
- Water flow in dams and large streams can be controlled through proper designing and application of the .
- The lowering and raising operations of sand moving are possible due to the in the arms below it.
- The is used for the of oil rig valves and their pump alignments through direct hose connections.
- Modern equipment used for the of the strength of materials are made with the .
There are over hundred applications and uses of the which the few mentioned above are among.
THE ADVANTAGES OF
- It operates with low noise.
- It requires little application of .
- It uses few parts to operate.
- It can be built as a unit and installed into a or equipment.
- The system can overcome heavy loads according to their designed limits.
- The can help reduce the size yet with greater mechanical efficiency.
- It is less problematic than non-hydraulic systems.
- It enhances the smooth running operations of the or equipment that has it.
- The applications of the are appearing to become almost unlimited in .
- Enhanced safety and less mechanical failures have been associated with machines and equipment using the .
THE DISADVANTAGES OF
- Fluid leakages have been a major complaint in the .
- Gradual drop of coming from leakages in the cylinders have made load suspension in the unsafe. An example is using cranes for load suspension in the air for a long time.
- will always need fluid in the form of oil for refilling and changing purposes.
- Slow operational response. actions are slow in responding to commands or applied when compared to links and lever controlled systems.
- The repair and maintenance can be tedious in the hands of an inexperienced engineer.
Besides the above details of hydraulics, modern technology has shown that the system can be incorporated into every and to be able in carrying out heavy tasks involving forces. Some aspects of expected include; forging operations, molding works, metal drawing/rolling, and plastic deformation of metals, etc.
Originally posted 2018-05-02 13:28:06.
A mechanical engineer and an NDT inspector by profession. However, I love blogging and sharing of knowledge for human intellectual development, especially relating to engineering fields, environment, and science trending updates. “Engineeringall.com” is a platform for any individual with similar passion, to do so; use the “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU to share your personal ideas, researched knowledge, or discovered incidents, etc.to those in the engineering & & the general online communities across the globe. If you love this post please share using the social buttons below.