The history of screwdrivers started far-back 15th century which were being predicted to have originated from either Germany or France. Screwdrivers were also called screw turners until the name screwdrivers dominated the other.
The tool screwdriver is one of the major workman hand tools that can be used to lose and tighten screws into any material. They have numerous classifications based on their and the type of screw they were meant for. However, the dominant types of screwdrivers are the star screwdriver and the flat screwdrivers. The reason for the popularity of these two can be attributed to the unified method of making screws for easy maintenance in any part of the world. The engineers thought it necessary to have specific types of screws that its handle tools can be accessed anywhere in the world and the choice of assembling of most products with the star embossed screws and transverse surface embossed screws known as the flat screws were adopted.
The popularity of the two types of screws led to the popularity of the hand tool called Screwdriver. Modern screwdrivers have gone as far as using electric motors to make them hand-powered tool, a hand-powered screwdriver makes the losing and tightening of screws to be faster and such is being employed where the is much with the limited time factor.
From the above improvements in the making of the screwdrivers, one can define the hand tool as a device used solely for the tightening and losing of screws that have slots on their surfaces.
Strenght, durability, and safety had been the key factors in the making of screwdrivers irrespective of the type either manual or machine screwdriver. in respect to the strength, the engineers had been making the shaft of screwdrivers with hardened high-carbon tough steels bearing in mind the tensile and mostly compressive stress the screwdrivers usually experience during their usage. It is believed that if a material with less hardness property is used for the making of the tool, it will affect the strength and reduce its durability.
The durability of the screwdriver has to do with the material used in making the entire body including the shaft. The secret of making the shaft to last long it to find a way of making it be highly resistant to bending, twisting and , for that reason steel coated with chromium or alloyed with resistant materials, is usually used in the making of the shaft. The shaft is usually slotted or fitted into a handle. The screwdriver handle may be made of plastic, wood, or any other material. Some combination screwdrivers have two tips bearing different tip embossment to match the of the screws they were meant for. All the above considerations are put together when deciding on the screwdriver durability.
When it comes to Safety of the screwdriver, it has to do with the safety of the personnel handling the screwdriver and the safety of the screws, workpieces, and surroundings where the job is being carried out. Engineers bear in mind the safety of the above conditions when designing and manufacturing screwdrivers. For that reason, let us highlight some of the that need to be observed when using the screwdriver for any job. Here are some of them:
- screwdriver shaft tip can be sharp with the ability to pierce the skin in the case of sudden impact force coming from a fall, therefore keeping the tool in your pocket or carelessly can be a source of injury in the event of unexpected fall.
- Using the tool as a center punch or chisel will damage the tips making it impossible to lose or tighten screws.
- Using the screwdriver as a wedge can bend the shaft or possibly break it.
- if the handle is made of wood, any heavy impact can cause it to crack, hence screwdrivers are not meant for impact forces rather for losing and tightening of screws.
- Clean the tips of the screwdriver before inserting it into the screw .
- Ensure that the right screwdriver is used for the screws to avoid damaging their surface.
- The presence of grease and oil in the handle or tip can cause slippery and lead to accidents, therefore thorough cleaning before its use is mandated.
- When working above height or overhead it necessary to secure your eyes from any accidental falling of the screwdriver due to the of gravity.
- It is necessary to use hand gloves when handling the screwdriver to enhance the gripping on it.
- inserting the screwdriver into any rotating part of a can result in a serious accident.
These and so many other can be used when working with the screwdrivers.
Originally posted 2018-04-11 11:54:39.
Subscribe to our email list and follow our social media pages for regular and timely updates.
You can submit your article for free review and publication by using “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU Buttons.
If you love this post please share it to using the social media buttons provided before the comment form.