WHAT TO DO WHEN HOME START SHOCKING YOU
It is always a surprise to many people when they just discover that their home which were working perfectly before have started shocking anyone who touches it. Many people had condemned and thrown some of their home appliances as a result of this problem because they immediately attribute the shock to the immediately without any confirmation from an expert.
The most common shocking are the ones coming from our electric cooking stoves especially the type that has a spring heating elements on its surface while the types with black carbon heating element is lesser, another one is the shocking from an electric pressing iron especially when the cloth under it is still wet, even the shocking from water boiling rings not excluded, but the question is how do these electric shocking occur in your home appliances even when there is no sign of wrong connection or electric sparks within the connections around the ? What can cause such occurrences? How can I stop and prevent it?
On Saturday night, I returned from a service given to me by someone through this website, the case of this client was a two Storey located along Aba-Port Harcourt expressway in city, . The whole in the were shocking such that tenants decided to notify the landlord, who took action by calling an electricians to ratify the problem, though the guy tried his best to trace the source of the but because the was electrified with it became a tedious for him and anyone around who may try to help in such a situation. According to one of the tenants, who told me that the electrician left the job undone without notifying the landlord; he said that the shocking was not just a minor type rather it comes with full range of voltage as anyone touches any connected to the wall sockets, this has been happening till I came…any way I became glad for the I saw on his face in a way of appreciating the fact the situation has been resolved. When someone called me on Saturday morning to know if I have the knowledge of ratifying electrical connections in , I was just curious trying to understand what that type of could be until we spent 15minutes in a phone call and his address was given to me with agreement to pay for my fees if we are not able to have a good term for my service, I arrived at the location before 12noon that same day, with my electrical wiring tools. To be frank the job will definitely look confusing to any inexperienced electrician because the whole wiring system of the was covered either with a concrete, or so the only visible places in the was the junction boxes of each section of the to make it worst there was no color coding in the wiring system. I told the landlord the charges for my service if I eventually fix it, but if I do not; he should just give fair to go back which he agreed so to make the story short this is exactly what I did which made go home with a smile that day for situation even the landlord was confused about why the electrician he called could not fix it.
THE PROCEDURES I TOOK:
First I checked the shocking by slightly touching one of the refrigerators connected to the wall socket while the electric power supply is still available and believe me it was not a minor shock because I felt it all over my body, then I asked the tenants to unplug everything connected to the wall sockets and that is where my began.
CHECKING THE OVERALL JUNCTION BOX
I went immediately and the fuse of the line supplying power to the whole making the to have no trace of electric voltages, I then opened the major junction box which supplies voltages to the rest of the junctions for distribution in various rooms, and parlors, etc. to trace the , but behold nothing visible was found, no trace of burnt or sparked edges, so I did all other junction boxes and yet nothing is indicating any sign of a in the wiring as everything in each junction box appeared normal.
DISCONNECTING JUNCTION BOXES
I started disconnecting the junction boxes one after the other to isolate each one from the next point for easy of any discontinuity, basically I know that such shock may be coming from an earthed that has established contact with the live in the but the problem now is how do I identify where this contact has been established.
USING MY DIGITAL OHMMETER
An ohmmeter is an electric device used to measure the resistance of any conductor and it has both the digital type and analog types of it.
I took about 50meters long of small red and black color , to fix to the ends the in each of the two junction boxes to color code it and identify which one is having discontinuity or contact with the earthed line. This was gradually carried out to about 20 junction boxes in the and at the end, I was able to detect the point the contact was established not just that I also discovered the causes that led to the melting of the live insulator such that it started having direct contact with the uninsulated earthed .
It was around 5 pm that Saturday that I discovered where the fault was so I immediately started color coding the junction boxes according to meter signal until all the junction boxes were color-coded and connected together as it was initially, that took me another one hour.
The faulted junction boxes would be difficult to run in them again as in the place the contact was established could not be accessed by anyone i.e, it is inside the of the . So I decided to run a direct surface for that very live line to the two junction boxes while disconnecting the previous live line completely.
After all, the reconnections had been made I returned the fuse for the public electricity supply and since the power was still available I was able to go through the whole once again to see that the problem has been ratified.
CHECKING FOR THE CAUSES
I also looked into the possible load that the live wire could carry to generate such heat that could melt its insulator, so I decided to check the two linking junction boxes and the flats they are distributing voltages to; then I discovered that they are supplying to two flats within the area and to one external light located at the front of the , so a closer look into those flats appliances revealed that the two flats basically make use of two burners high voltage electric cooking stoves along with other , meanwhile the used for the whole were 2mm thick for the supplying junction boxes and 1.5mm for the distributing junction boxes, and I know that if two electric cooking stoves having double burners on them were to be plugged into two different sockets with each two burners switched ON, it simply means that each of the stove would be trying to draw up to 220volts to be able to heat up its heating elements, the same occurs to the other heating stove; hence the junction boxes would be stressed to at least provide 400volts for the two electric cooking stove and if that is the case such voltage is too high for a 1.5mm to carry for a long period of time. Imagine if the two flats happen to cook their foods with these stoves simultaneously when power is available up to about 5 hours definitely the would be heated up causing the insulators to melt. (Hooke’s law states; that current is directly proportional to heat generated,) think about it.
All I did was to quickly notify the landlord about my discovery and gave some suggestion on how to curb such situation next time before I left the place.
Originally posted 2017-07-08 15:46:44.
A mechanical engineer and an NDT inspector by profession. However, I love blogging and sharing of knowledge for human intellectual development, especially relating to engineering fields, environment, and science trending updates. “Engineeringall.com” is a platform for any individual with similar passion, to do so; use the “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU to share your personal ideas, researched knowledge, or discovered incidents, etc.to those in the engineering & & the general online communities across the globe. If you love this post please share using the social buttons below.