Small petrol generators like the popular “I beta my Nebo” in the Nigerians slang, has become the most dominant generator for low-income earners and some average citizens. Most barbing salons prefer using the generator for economic purposes. The generator immediately dominated the giant types upon its entrance into the Nigerian market early 2002 due to the huge difference in price it has when compared to the bigger types.
The generator had been discovered to be more economical when using it for where the workload will not be much. Standard small petrol generators can carry about 3 electric fans, 5 electric bulbs, two clippers, and other accessories plugged into a socket. The minimum and manageable workloads it carries makes it become a good option for owners.
The generator has been discovered to consume less fuel per hour when compared to the bigger petrol generators. Filling up the tank of the small generator can leave it operating for hours with just 4-5 liters of petrol. fillers and painters use the generator to power their small electric for economic reasons and for easy .
Despite the good aspect of the generator, it still has few disadvantages just like any other . Some of the major disadvantages of the generator are:
- Power discontinuity: this is a situation where the generator will be running but cannot release any voltage in its output socket. It is the common we shall be discussing in details and how to trace it and possibly fix it.
- Overheating: small generators’ & exhaust unit made with improper metallic alloy, will always experience overheating each time it operates for hours. Generators found to be having this problem usually get the plug’s top plastic guard melted after few operations. Besides that, it can also lead to untimely damage to the unit when not properly managed.
- Lack of durability of some parts: the small generators have numerous small parts and these parts were made with non-metallic materials therefore during the generator lifespan those part quickly got melted, broken and wear away, a good example of such is the supports rubbers located at the base of the generators.
- Low workload capacity: small generators usually carry low workloads which serves as their limitation or disadvantage over big generators. The workload capacity is not a but according to the overall manufacturer’s design and power output rating.
- Frequent servicing: the small generators have the disadvantage of having regular technical malfunctioning when compared with the big petrol generators. The evidence of that can be seen from the duration of warranty offered by the manufacturers of the small generators which does not exceed 6 months.
These disadvantages that the generator has does not make it less important because of its other numerous advantages.
Let us discuss in details the causes of the power discontinuity. The small generators usually come with a small red pin button below or beside the power output socket, the function of the button is to trip the power off whenever the workload exceeds that of the generator capacity. The button serves as an emergency power disconnector when excess appliances have been plugged into the generator power line. The purpose of such button is to prevent untimely damage to the armature coil of the generator.
Beside the above cause of power discontinuity in the generator, any other cause can be a major issue and may be caused by these two major parts of the generator; the armature coil and its capacitor. When one or both parts mentioned have got burnt, it will be difficult for the generator to give out power even when the generator is running smoothly. The major cause of such problem is when the emergency button has been removed in a way of increasing the workload capacity of the generator, in that case, the excess load will cause the coil or its capacitor to get burnt. The only way to it is by changing the capacitor, rewinding the coil or buying a new one.
Originally posted 2018-05-19 17:28:12.
Subscribe to our email list and follow our social media pages for regular and timely updates.
You can submit your article for free review and publication by using “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU Buttons.
If you love this post please share it to using the social media buttons provided before the comment form.