have become a major source of power supply for , manufacturers, banks, construction , and small enterprises. The use of had been expanding every year due to the introduction of varying sizes of such . The sizes of in the market are many ranging from the smallest sizes used for driving the locally made milling for the grinding of corns, , and millets, etc. to the biggest sizes used to drive the high-tension power grids generators in the power stations.
The use of has not suffered any setback ever since its invention. However, there are some problems that do exist from time to time in this type of , such problems do not just occur rather they were being caused by some factors. It is believed that can operate for more than 24 hours without stopping or developing any if all the conditions and specifications of the manufacturers are being maintained.
The reasons for developing problems frequently could come from the overloading, high operating temperatures, wrong base , improper coupling, improper , and regular shortage of in the supplying tank, etc. it is believed that when all the conditions for are met, they will operate like a horse without any unexpected reactions. It is because of this characteristics that made some power stations to use large to supplement the shortage of power in the power grids, while some small power stations use only for their power supply because such can operate for a long time in a single starting when all its favorable conditions were met.
Among other problems that the can develop, we will be emphasizing the problem of the top in this post. What is a top of a diesel engine? That would be a question from anyone with little knowledge about the diesel engines. The entire parts of the engines were made to function through connections with one and another. These connections cannot be made directly with a metal to metal otherwise it will lead to overheating, leakages, wear and tear, etc. therefore the gap between each connection is usually fitted with a leather or carton paper materials shaped according to the size of the connection it will be used for, so the leather or paper material is what we call in any .
From the above explanation, one can easily derive a meaning to what top gasket is all about. It is the gasket usually attached to the connection that exists above the piston of the diesel engine, the parts bearing the connection could be the and the top where the injector and nozzle are usually found.
The top of S195 and S1115 of the may look alike but they are not the same and were made with the strong leather-like material being re-enforced with a metal ring. The reason for the above design lies in the actual function the performs. It can be said that top bears more stress and performs more function than other in the because it is located where the takes place and bears more heat, more , and vibration than any other part of the . Because of all these crucial functions, it tends to develop easily than other .
A simple damage to the top may not be noticeable immediately because the may still be running in operation until it has been switched off before the signs will start manifesting. Before we go into the detail of the signs of a damaged top , let us take a brief look into the actual reasons top could get damaged, because reasoning from what I said earlier that do not just develop except something was done wrong to create unfavorable working conditions.
There are major and minor factors that can cause the damage of the top , the major factors are:
- Overheating of the top during operation.
- Operating the beyond average speed.
- Faulty that is if the is leaking water unknowingly when the is running.
- Damaged , a damaged will cause an increase in the due to the failure to send oil to top connections to assist in of the walls of the chamber that exist below the top .
There are other major factors which their presence will guarantee the ultimate damage of the top in the .
The minor factors are the ones that may not first damage the top rather they may cause other problems in the which may later damage the top in a severe situation. They are highlighted below;
- Operating the with insufficient .
- Operating the with Old that needs to be changed.
- Improper tensioning of the top and connection after maintenance job.
- Insufficient water in the . This can lead to damaging , metals and bearings, and will still damage the top .
- Pouring water or water contaminated with certain chemicals into the . The dirt can the flow lines in the , while chemical may change the water properties become reactive and cause and leakages due to the reduced viscosity of the water.
These and more are the minor causes of top damage in a .
Now let us discuss the common signs of a damaged top .
SIGNS OF DAMAGED TOP
- Water leakages from the top connection.
- The appearance of smoke from the connection.
- high starting can also be a sign of damaged top because the leaked air-fuel mixture from the will reduce the in the chamber causing high starting except for or fuel or is dropped into the chamber through the inlet manifold.
- Another crucial sign of damaged top is that water will fill up the inlet manifold and sometimes the exhaust line also, each time the is put to rest for about five hours.
- Suddenly overheating at the top connection that can lead to the could be from a damaged top .
- Some bolts in the top connection may start to get loose in their as a sign of the damaged top .
There are other signs of a damaged top which may be explained later.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE IF THE TOP IS NOT CHANGED AFTER DETECTING IT?
- It can lead to the which may damage the top itself, the and rings, metals at the rod, main bearings at the front and back edges of the which will be a huge cost to the owner.
- It can make the to start having sudden oil and water shortage from the invisible leaking in the top connection and such will cost the operator time for refilling of water regularly and cost of buying regularly to the shortened oil.
- Damaged top can cause severe problem and damage to the chamber by its ability to introduce water into the air-inlet manifold and if the operator is not aware and turns the of the to start it, the whole water in the manifold will be sucked directly to the chamber instead of air that it was made for, thereby making it impossible to run the again until thorough cleaning and servicing is done in the chamber.
HOW TO CHANGE THE TOP OF A
Detecting the sings on time and making its change immediately is the best and safer way of running if not, one small problem may lead to huge one that can cost much financially for the owner.
Assuming you are in a place where mechanics or engineers are not accessible, there are steps to change the top and they are highlighted below:
- Use tape to obtain the actual sizes of all the bolts and nuts located at the top down to the chamber.
- Disconnect all the metal pipes delivering to the injector by using two spanners one for holding in-place while the other for loosening the nut.
- After that; loose the injector, the air-inlet manifold, the exhausts manifold and every other component attached to the top areas.
- The set of nuts or bolts used to connect the top to the engine block is usually big in size look for its size in hammer wrench or torque wrench to be able to lose them because they usually have high tensioning.
- After losing the nuts, them and keep in a safe place to avoid misplacement.
- Gently pull the top out from the connection or joint. If the connection is stiff and the top is unable to come out as you pulled it, then look for slim metal, insert it at one edge of the in the connection & tap the metal to be able to penetrate into the joint and cause a separation between the top and the .
- Then pull out the top after the separation.
- After the top is removed, you will see the damaged top that laid in-between the top & , gently pull out the and replace it with a new one.
- If the has made some marks on either wall of the parts, the particles by using smooth sandpaper and a solvent.
Having done everything correctly, repeat the reversal process to re-assemble the back to its initial arrangement. Then for oil and water before starting the again.
Originally posted 2018-06-24 05:24:50.
Subscribe to our email list and follow our social media pages for regular and timely updates.
You can submit your article for free review and publication by using “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU Buttons.
If you love this post please share it to using the social media buttons provided before the comment form.