Liquefied like methane had been the major cooking fuel for the majority of households. Though it has the disadvantage of higher safety precautions in its handling, cooking with has many advantages which include; faster cooking, no black smoke stain, burning control and reduction of electric power bills in places using digitally pre-paid electric meters, etc.
Liquefied is volatile and has considerable pressure inbuilt in its molecules when contained in a vacuum. To make use of the for cooking, steel pressed and welded cylinders are used to compress it into various volumes according to the size of each cylinder.
The volume of the in each cylinder determines how long it would last while using it for cooking. Based on the research I made, filling a 1kg cylinder of cooking would cost between N1500 to N2000 depending on the dealers’ competition.
Occasionally, some filling stations like the NNPC do sell cooking as well, but there is special cooking refilling stations that are meant for the refilling of the cooking only. Such stations do have the liquefied natural plant built in them with accurate kilogram measuring instrument to ensure accuracy during their selling.
Besides the two places mentioned above, cooking dealers can also be located on streets and expressway stores. This category of dealers can be found where there is no cooking and petrol filling station, and/or the cooking refilling plant within the area. This last option offers lots of disadvantages and would not be advisable for a place where the plant filling station is available.
HOW TO KNOW THAT THE COOKING IN A CYLINDER IS ABOUT TO FINISH
Understanding the sign will help you prepare for and budget the stipulated amount of money for your cylinder kilogram.
One of the major sign of a depreciated cooking volume is the change of color in the cooking flame. After filling a steel cylinder with a cooking , there would be a considerable volatile pressure which can be felt and heard once the knob of the cylinder is used to allow the to escape from the cylinder. Due to that pressure, the initial cooking flame found on the cooker is blue and it will remain blueish for a considerable duration of time until the volume of the in the cylinder has gone down which will result in the reduced pressure of the flame.
At that stage of reduced pressure, the cooking flame will start showing yellowish flame of normal burning fire. Though the severity of the color change is proportional to the drop in the volume of the cooking in the cylinder, some with inaccurate pressurized cooking may finish just a few days after showing little sign of yellowish flame. Meanwhile, a properly filling cylinder will show a yellowish flame for a good number of days, or weeks until it consumes the last cooking in the cylinder.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR COOKING LAST LONGER
It is important to know how you can use your properly to maximize its use and save you the cost of wastage. The cooking in a cylinder is a pressure based liquefied , hence it works mostly on the pressure principle.
To make the cooking last longer, learn how to control the cooker knob for any size of cooking flame you want. The lock and open control key located on the top of the cylinder shouldn’t be opened completely if the knob of your cooker is faulty or cannot give you the low flame you want.
The flame for cooking food like rice, beans, etc. is different from the flame used in frying potatoes, yam, or fish, etc. hence, economizing the cooking gas means using the right flame for the right cooking. The idea will not only save your gas, it will reduce the risk of food burning and fire accidents also when used.
Another way you can economize your cooking gas is to avoid being in a hurry when using the gas for cooking, my research showed that when food like beans is used on a gas cooker with considerable low pressurized flame it allows the beans to soften properly as it boils slowly and the total volume of gas consumed in cooking the beans is small though it took a long time in the cooking process. Cooking the same quantity of with a highly-pressurized cooking flame will help it soften fast within a short time, but it does not soften properly and the process consumes more cooking than the initial even though the cooking was done within a short time.
If you are living where electric bills are not regulated by meters, using electric cooking stove can be a good way of saving the cooking to last longer by using the electric stove whenever there is for cooking foods that take time like the and rice, while using the cooker only when there is no electricity supply.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS WHEN USING COOKING WITH COOKER
Safety remains the major issue in the use of for cooking. As a volatile liquid, the tends to diffuse into the air unnoticed when it sees any available for escape. About 40% of all the household fire accidents across the globe can be attributed to the unsafe use of the for cooking.
Improper handling of a cooking cylinder and its uncontrolled ignition can burn down a full destroying everything in it including the occupants. For the sake of safety, I have highlighted these few tips as few safety measures to be employed when using the for cooking:
- A standard kitchen using cooker should have a fire extinguisher of at least 1 kg size and hang on a wall which should be visible to anyone in the kitchen.
- The cylinder should not be kept in the kitchen rather it should be kept outside the preferably at the back of the kitchen.
- The cylinder will be connected to the cooker using a suitable hose, but if metallic tube like copper is available it will offer the best safety than the popular rubber hose.
- The hose should be anchored on any wall it passes but shouldn’t be close to the or roofs.
- Where it needs to on the , the hose should be buried in the ground until it reaches where the cylinder is located.
- The fixing of the hose to the cylinder should be tested for any trace of leakage to ensure it does not leak any from the cylinder when locked or opened for cooking.
- The fixing of the other end of the hose to the cooker should also be tested for any trace of leakage to ensure no coming from the hose escapes into the atmosphere during the use of the cooker and when its knob has turned the cooker off.
- The cylinder should always have the red color to signify its danger and potential for fire outbreak. In the case where other colors were used to the cylinder, a sticker or written sign should notify on its body that it is a cylinder and should be touched unnecessarily.
- Children should not be allowed to play in any kitchen that has the cooker, and the place at the back of the kitchen where the cylinder had been kept.
- Having a tester in a standard and busy kitchen like that of hotels can be very helpful to help access the kitchen atmosphere of any possible leakage within the kitchen before igniting the cooker for cooking. Otherwise, an atmosphere filled with leaked liquefied has the tendency of fire outbreak when the lighter is ignited or the ignition ion of the cooker is turned on.
- It is advisable to open the kitchen windows and door and allow ventilation for some time like 30 minutes before igniting the cooker if you suspect the presence of leaked cooking in the kitchen. However, if you adopt the method as a measure of safety by opening the windows and door for some time whenever you want to cook with the cooker, it will be great.
HOW TO ENSURE YOUR CYLINDER GETS REFILLED PROPERLY WHEN THE HAD FINISHED
Because the cooking in the cylinder is controlled by the pressure, ensure that no pressure remains in the cylinder when the in the cylinder is finished. To achieve that, open the lock key of the cylinder and leave it open until when you want to take the cylinder to the refilling station.
This practice allows the whole pressure left in the cylinder to escape making the pressure in the cylinder to balance with the normal atmospheric pressure.
To ensure you get an accurate volume of in the cylinder to make the with plant filling stations because they have a pumping mechanism in the form compressors to the required volume of the cooking into the cylinder.
Refilling the cylinder with those dealers using already refilled cylinders wouldn’t give accurate volume since their system works with pressure differential because a hose from already filled cylinder will be connected to yours and the will be made to move to your own cylinder conventionally without any , it means that the moment the pressure in the supplying cylinder balances with yours, the will stop moving into your cylinder no matter how long you allow the connections to stay. Besides that, a considerable volume of does leak in that process than in the filling stations.
WHY CYLINDERS ARE NOT PLASTIC (advantages and disadvantages)
The reason cooking cylinders are mostly made of iron and steel is based on safety. The metals mentioned have greater toughness and fatigue resistance than plastic and they are fire resistant. Though they are higher conductors of heat which are not needed for , their positive properties outweigh those of the negative in that regard.
Any cylinder made of plastic is usually manufactured with special plastic material like the thermoset plastics and they usually have a good wall thickness. Such cylinder may offer the advantage of allowing the user to visually see the volume of the in the cylinder and use it to predict when it would finish.
Originally posted 2018-07-15 05:24:03.
A mechanical engineer and an NDT inspector by profession. However, I love blogging and sharing of knowledge for human intellectual development, especially relating to engineering fields, environment, and science trending updates. “Engineeringall.com” is a platform for any individual with similar passion, to do so; use the “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU to share your personal ideas, researched knowledge, or discovered incidents, etc.to those in the engineering & & the general online communities across the globe. If you love this post please share using the social buttons below.