The guiding all the use of /machines such as grinders and . Why it is important to learn about safety in everything we do, is just minimize accidents, prolong the lifespan of our working tools, and reduce wastage of materials/resources.
The general and warnings regarding the hand-held can be classified into four and they are:
- area safety
- Personal safety
- Electrical safety
- use & care
The detailed explanation of the above four are discussed and itemized below:
- area safety: this is a /warning that has to do with the environment or surroundings that the job is being carried out. The rule has to do with the following:
- Good housekeeping before and after every is a good way of minimizing accidents.
- Atmosphere filled with flammable or liquid is not safe to operate since the activities do produce sparks from time to time especially cutting and grinding works of the .
- Ensure the atmosphere is not dusty before tool to avoid blurred vision that may lead to mistakes and accident.
- It is very important to place a notice on outsiders, children, and bystanders to keep off, showing that tool operation is taking place where you are doing the .
- Personal : this is the rule that will guild the operator in a way of avoiding an accident while using the and they can be highlighted as below:
- Using common sense and being alert are keywords for personal safety when operating like grinders, etc.
- Do not operate a power machine tool when you are tired or under the influence of any drug, alcohol or in an unstable health condition.
- A moment of inattention while operating may result in serious personal injury.
- Use PPE (Personal protective equipment) always when working with , put on eyes goggle, dust , non-skid safety shoes, hard hat, and hearing protection (ear or ear muff) and all of them should be in their appropriate conditions.
- Ensure the power switch of the tool is off before plugging it into an electric socket to avoid unintentional starting which can cause an accident.
- After using any wrench or adjusting key on the , ensure it has been removed before turning the power on. A wrench or key left attached to a rotating part of the may fly out and cause injury to the operator.
- Proper balance and footing are necessary when operating a . Do not overreach from your recommended position when tool so that you can have complete control of the tool in the case of skipping off from the workpiece.
- Do not wear loose clothe, jewelry, or keep long hairs while operating the .
- If dust expeller or extractor is installed in the working environment, ensure it is positioned for maximum use to reduce the hazards associated with dust to your health.
- Electrical : The electrical safety warnings are the required procedure to be used in handling the electric power supply to avoid an accident while working with . The warnings include:
- The must match the outlet, do not modify the in any way. Unmodified plugs and matching outlets will reduce the risk of electric shock.
- Do not use any adapter plugs with earthed .
- Avoid body contact with earthed or grounded surfaces, such as pipes, radiators, ranges, and refrigerators. There is an increased risk of electric shock if your body is earthed or grounded.
- Do not expose the to rain or wet conditions. Water that enters into the can power voltage and electric shock.
- Do not use the cord for carrying, pulling or tying of objects, it can cause the cord to cut inside which will result in electrical problems.
- Keep the cord away from heat, oil, sharp edges and moving parts of any because exposed/ damaged part the cord’s insulator is a source of electric shock.
- When using the power tool for outdoors, use a suitable extension cord to reduce the risk of electric shock.
- Use a residual current device (RCD) protected supply if there is a condition that you must use the in a damp location.
- use & care: These are the rules guiding the use, servicing and caring of the to help in prolonging its lifespan in service. There are many of such rules which differ from to , but when it comes to , here are some of them:
- It is recommended to use the correct size of power for any you want to do, by the capacity and nature of the . Using small for it can hardly handle will reduce its lifespan and will perform poorly on the .
- Ensure any you want to use has its power ON/OFF switch working properly because it will be dangerous to operate a you cannot control.
- Before making any adjustment, change of disc, or repair ensure that the has been removed from the power socket. Keep out from the reach of children and inexperienced personnel during and after its use. In that case, its storage must be secured and warning tape may be used to indicate danger.
- The inspection must be carried out regularly on every before and after using it. To `ensure , accurate parts positions and tighten loosed screws.
- Serious signs from the must not be handled by a novice rather should be sent to an expert for repair.
- Cleaning the is necessary and keeping its cutting parts sharp and free from rust or cracks.
- The right cutting, grinding, or brushing discs must be used in accordance with the size and specifications.
These and more are the and warnings guiding the use of hand-powered such as grinders, speed cutters, hand power brushes, and hand power sand dusters, etc.
Originally posted 2018-04-21 08:24:33.
Subscribe to our email list and follow our social media pages for regular and timely updates.
You can submit your article for free review and publication by using “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU Buttons.
If you love this post please share it to using the social media buttons provided before the comment form.