There are three basic types of and their explanations are given below:
- INLINE TRANSFER : in this arrangement, several machining heads are arranged across the straight line on the sides a pitch of nearly 1 meter and components flow in the middle of two rows of machines along guide rails. If does not permit the , instead; a straight line could be arranged in L-shape, square or rectangular pattern.
The conveyor for transferring components could either run over, under or around the transfer . The may be loaded either manually or automatically onto the , and it is transferred by equal pitch movements from station to station where it is located through dowels and clamped. The can be presented to the machining head in any desired position by using turntables or turnover devices at the appropriate points on the bed. All types of machining operations are carried out at various stations and the chips produced are removed so that these do not foul or dog the working parts. Coolants need to be supplied in huge quantities. In case of jam up of components; safety device operates and all come to a stop. Such an arrangement is very popular in automobile .
- ROTARY INDEXING TABLE TRANSFER : in this case, is transferred around a circular line, thereby giving a more compact arrangement and saving the . The machining heads are arranged around the periphery, precise indexing is used for transferring components from a fixed station of machining heads.
This type of arrangement is usually small in Size, there may be 4 to 17 stations depending on the size of a component. This is due to a limitation of the size of a table, which can be held and rotated in a base, such that it can maintain sufficient rigidity for the components and overall accuracy. This type of arrangement is best suited for assembly of a product.
- DRUM TYPE TRANSFER : in this case, fixtures are fastened to the outside surface or periphery of the drum and workstations are positioned radially around the circular path at an equal interval. As the hangs from the fixture, the clamping arrangement must be fool-proofed and efficient. Like circular indexing arrangement, this too cannot be big in size.
ADVANTAGES OF USING
- It can handle very heavy components and components of extremely awkward size and shape. No manual handling of is involved except loading and unloading.
- Operator fatigue is practically eliminated and the need for operators can also reduce.
- The output is considerably increased; the speed of output can be easily varied to ensure balanced production with other departments.
- Considerable is saved by the elimination of inter-operation sacking and the close grouping of a .
- Control of the passing through the shop is simplified.
- It is flexible and can be arranged to suit modifications in the design of the components.
- The plant can be disassembled and rebuilt to suit other workpieces if the component for which it is already designed to become obsolete the life of the cutting tool may be considerably extended.
- of at each station is simplified and automatized.
- An overall economy is obtained if the production warrants the use of this type of equipment.
- Greater overall accuracy is obtained because the is integral with the fixture throughout.
Originally posted 2018-10-06 07:03:21.
A mechanical engineer and an NDT inspector by profession. However, I love blogging and sharing of knowledge for human intellectual development, especially relating to engineering fields, environment, and science trending updates. “Engineeringall.com” is a platform for any individual with similar passion, to do so; use the “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU to share your personal ideas, researched knowledge, or discovered incidents, etc.to those in the engineering & & the general online communities across the globe. If you love this post please share using the social buttons below.