Gaskets are often used between metal surfaces to make an oil-tight joint. If the gasket is displaced or damaged, or the metal surfaces are distorted, oil will leak. The most likely to leak are those that are frequently disturbed, such as the one under the cover which has its oil-tight seal broken each time the settings are checked. Ideally, a new should be fitted each time the cover is taken off.
The most complex in the is between the cylinder head and . The cylinder head has the difficult job of sealing off gases, water in the , and high-pressure lubricating oil. If it leaks, the cylinder head must come off, such as a complicated job that is best left to the experts.
Here are the nine steps you can use to renew the :
- all the fixtures, cords, and hose overhanging the cover. In other words, move away from the air cleaner, spark and any hoses standing as an obstruction.
- all those auxiliary parts attached to the cover which is obstructing your access to the required part. After that, lose the cover with the required spanner.
- After losing the cover, the by peeling it off from the metal surface. Cork may be positioned by the shaping of the cover flange, or extensions on the may engage with cut-outs in the flange, or the may be struck with jointing compound.
- Clean all traces of old from the flange and the mating surfaces.
- Many oil leaks are caused by over-tightening the fixing bolts or screws and distorting the cover. Resting the bent flange on a hardwood and gently tapping it with a light hammer will straighten out the distortions.
- Slight imperfections can be sealed using a silicone sealant on the surface before fitting the new .
- If a cork is a distorted soak it in warm water to regain its shape.
- With the attached, place the cover carefully in position on the cylinder head. Use a mirror to hidden areas, in case the has slipped out of position.
- Refit the cover screws or bolts with any sealing washers. If damaged washers are fitted, oil will seep out. Using new washers, tighten the bolts sufficiently to just compress the . Refit any components that you have removed, sstart the and all around the for leaks. Small leaks can be cured by parting the joint and applying silicone sealant.
Originally posted 2018-08-28 04:53:30.
Subscribe to our email list and follow our social media pages for regular and timely updates.
You can submit your article for free review and publication by using “PUBLISH YOUR ARTICLE” page at the MENU Buttons.
If you love this post please share it to using the social media buttons provided before the comment form.